Sunday, November 24, 2019

A New Puppy

It has been many years since we have had a dog living under our roof.  Ten years to be exact.  And while I certainly haven't been counting the days, months, or years since we had to have Max put down, like I have with the loss of my dad, there is something about the loss of a pet that stings more than you expect.  It took us some time to be able to even consider getting a new dog.  And then some time for our son, and then our daughter, to get on board with the care of having a dog around.  But, when they finally DID get on board, the count was on.  We researched and signed up for a waiting list and when we finally got the call, our girl was over the moon.

We had known for a few weeks that we would be getting her, so we had been slowly gathering items.  The bed, however, was something that seemed fitting to make a special visit to the pet store for.

 After picking up food, a bed, and a couple of chew toys, we made sure to get an exact weight (a big 3 lbs) before heading home.  Then, it was time for a little bath and some snuggling.



It surely felt like our new addition was over me taking pictures, so I tried to limit how much I hovered.  I let the kids get to know her and and her to know the house.  She has taken to Emma and followed her around every where today.  Lots of playing and petting, which is so exciting to our girl.


By the end of the day, she was pretty tuckered out.  At dinner, we finally agreed on a name - Nani (pronounced NAH-nee, which is Hawaiian for beauty) - and I got a few opportunities to chill with her.  I know once everyone returns to a regular schedule, I will have TONS of one-on-one time to cuddle with her - and clean up after her as we go through all the stages of puppy training.  It's a good thing she's so dang adorable.

Until next time,