Monday, June 19, 2017

Backyard Watering

Maybe it's just me and my girl, but it seems like when the summer sun begins to give off its heat, the first thing we want to do is run out and soak it up.  Never mind that in a few short weeks we will be so tired and over the sun and the extreme heat that we will hide in our basement.  In that first beautiful beginning, it is glorious and welcomed and we play and bask for days.

A few weeks ago, that's just what happened with our girl.  The sun was shining and the blooms were out, stretching to the sun for new growth.  So what's a 4 year old to do but want to help those little plants along?  Now, we are not gardeners, so before you proceed, you should definitely throw out whatever idea you have of a beautiful and full garden.  Instead, you should remember that watering is sometimes just fun - and that good stories will ensue when I tell our daughter about how she used to love to water the plants in our yard.




It's comical I know, but at least I warned you.  Those flowers, by the way, are mums, and let's just say that they will likely have to be purchased again this year, despite our girl's tender loving care.  I love to watch her gather the water.  A few years ago, I got a 50 gallon rain barrel, which is PERFECT for allowing our girl to play with the water and not be overly concerned about waste.

Those middle ones are my favorite flowers, calla lilies, and God has allowed them to take root and multiply in that spot.  Every year, they come back in full force with more friends.  I have done nothing and always love how beautiful they look.




And finally, my new lavender plants.  They haven't yet taken root the way I envisioned.  After all, this photographer's dream is a lavender field in her own backyard, but they are definitely larger than last year, so that's a step in the right direction!  Plus, with my girl watering them with such strength, they are sure to grow in no time!





What a hoot.  That girl of ours sure does keep us smiling.  I can't wait to see what her efforts bring - and the excitement she shares over it all.

Until next time,